Each month of September, for a weekend, the European Heritage Days offer territories and owners of remarkable monuments the opportunity to open their doors to the public and reveal the hidden treasures of these many privileged places.
The 17 and 18 September 2022, lovers of old stones, families and friends looking for the unusual and curious walkers will find many surprises in Lauragais.
Discovering the villages
Guided tour of Calmont
Located at the gates of Ariège, Calmont is a village with a tormented history, deeply marked by religious wars. By visiting the temple and the religious heritage of the village, you will measure the full importance of the Protestant religion, an unknown and essential universe in the history of this little corner of Lauragais.
Guided tour Saturday September 17 at 10:30 a.m.
Meet in front of the church.
Guided tour of Caraman
Central place of Lauragais, Caraman is naturally a historical crossroads. As such, the city has over time been the target of many desires. During the visit, you will be able to soak up this prestigious past, but also the authentic atmosphere of this small town which has managed to preserve its "village spirit".
Guided tour Saturday September 17 at 14:30 a.m.
Meet on Place du Castela.
Discover this Renaissance castle, dating from the beginning of the XNUMXth century and its remarkable park.
Inside, you will browse perfectly preserved period rooms and a surprising collection of works of art.
Open Saturday September 17 and Sunday September 18, 2022 from 14:00 p.m. to 18:30 p.m.
Price: €6 per person / free for children under 10.
Guided tour every hour from 14 p.m.
Visit this sumptuous 3th century castle and its XNUMX-hectare park. A remarkable heritage awaits you:
- The underground offices with vaulted cellars carved into the rock: the kitchen, the dungeon, and a collection of works of art and popular tradition.
- The granaries and outbuildings of the castle: today, this raw earth building houses exhibition rooms.
- The furnished apartments of the castle, with the entrance, the large living rooms, the guard room, the printing house, the old kitchen. Then, upstairs, the Capitoul bedroom, the antechamber and the library.
- The gardens of the terrace of the South dominating the hills of Lauragais, and to the North the park, the flowerbeds, the meadows, the shady alley of lime trees and the large grove.
Open Saturday September 17 and Sunday September 18, 2022 from 14:00 p.m. to 20:00 p.m.
Price: €6 per person / free for children under 15.
Welcome by the owner then free visits.
The religious heritage
As every year, the European Heritage Days offer a unique opportunity to enter several village churches and take the time to admire the treasures they contain...
- Church of Saint-Appolonie in aurin : Contemplate the magnificent frescoes by François Bernadi, a Catalan painter born in Collioure.
Free admission from 10 a.m. to 00 p.m. Mass is scheduled for 18:00 a.m.
- Church of Our Lady of the Assumption in Montgeard : Nicknamed "Little Sainte Cécile" in reference to the cathedral of Albi, the church of Montgeard is a heritage which owes its existence toGolden age of pastel in Lauragais. Enter this imposing building dating from the XNUMXth century in southern Gothic style and discover its many treasures.
Free admission from 8 a.m. to 00 p.m.
- Shrine of Our Lady of Saussens : This sanctuary, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is divided into two places: the Sainte-Marie church and the Miraculous Fountain of the Isoule valley. This fountain is reputed to be miraculous thanks to its purifying water.
Free admission from 10 a.m. to 30 p.m.
A lecture by Lucien Aries
At the invitation of AVIGNONET INITIATIVES, Lucien Ariès will give a conference on the theme of the ride of the Black Prince in Lauragais le Saturday, September 17 at 17 p.m. at the Fellowship House.
In 1355, it was at the head of more than fifteen thousand men that Edward of Woodstock, who would be nicknamed the Black Prince, ravaged Lauragais to punish the Count of Armagnac, who harassed English Guyenne, in the name of the King of France. Using a slide show and drawing on period documents and maps, Lucien Ariès will show how the army, deployed in three columns, took cities and burned everything in its path. The passage to Avignonet will be particularly detailed. The author will dedicate his book “When the Black Prince plundered the Lauragais in 1355”. Daniel Bonhoure will also intervene during this time dedicated to History. He will look at the archaeological traces that make it possible to locate castles and religious buildings in Avignonet at the same time.
Artistic events in Port Lauragais
The rest area of Port Lauragais will honor the artists of Lauragais thanks to its new art gallery #Art61 and its Espace Découverte du Lauragais. In the program :
- Artists will create works of art on site
- A jazz band will play near the Nougaro exhibition
- 2 free discovery tours of the Espace Découverte du Lauragais at 11 a.m. and 15 p.m.
Plan your cultural weekend
As every September, the European Heritage Days honor the cultural heritage of Lauragais and all of France.
Find all the events of this exceptional weekend on the Official website.