Located 2 km from the Canal du Midi, the small village of Saint-Rome stands out for its extraordinary constructions.
In the middle of the XNUMXth century, the Marquis Henri Louis César de La Panouse settled in Saint-Rome.
He had his residence built there, called "Le château" (now private). The Marquis de la Panouse was a rich landowner: he had his land exploited by agricultural workers for whom he had had around twenty buildings built, outside the walls of the castle and which today form the village of St Rome .
Inspired by the utopia of the workers 'cities of the great industrial bosses of the XNUMXth century, by the universal exhibitions and by his numerous trips, he had these workers' houses built in a very astonishing eclectic architecture!
Take a tour of the village to observe this harmonious patchwork: these houses with varied architectural styles (Flemish, Moorish, Scandinavian, Baroque ...) will not leave you indifferent!
This unusual village has been on the list of historical monuments since 1950.
The castle cannot be visited but is visible from the outside.