Formerly called Montesquieu-sur-Canal, this village, located on a hill, developed around the feudal castle at the beginning of the XNUMXth century. Montesquieu was once one of the ten main cities of the diocese of Toulouse.
In the XNUMXth century, it was the refuge of Bons Hommes et Bonnes Femmes (the Cathars) who owned ten houses in the village. According to the texts, there was even in Montesquieu one of the five Cathar cemeteries of Lauragais! At that time, the village was protected by ramparts and ditches, the layout of which can be guessed by walking through the streets.
In the 3th century, the lords of Montesquieu espouse the cause of Protestantism. The inhabitants convert to this new religion. After ten years, on July 1586, XNUMX, the village was besieged by the Catholics led by the Duke of Joyeuse. It is reduced to ashes and the inhabitants are strictly forbidden to return.
However, despite this ban, the city is gradually being rebuilt.
The Saint-Jacques church dates from 1600. It has a beautiful 5-bay bell tower overlooking the plain.
Crossed by the Canal du Midi, the town is home to the interesting Négra lock below.
The latter was formerly an obligatory stopover for the "dinée" (lunch) of the passengers of the Post boat.
Guided tour for groups, on request all year round.
- Picnic area.