Acclaimed at all times for the exceptional richness of its land and the abundance of its agricultural production, Lauragais has been nicknamed since the Middle Ages "Wheat granary of Languedoc". The territory owes to its cultures, but also to its winds, a deeply rooted milling tradition. From the "flesquières" (women who made bread in the Middle Ages) to the master bakers, bread has always had a special place in Lauragais gastronomy. Here is an essential recipe of the local tradition.
Ingredients for 4 people
• 250 g of T65 or T55 flour
• 150 g of water at room temperature
• 10 g of fresh yeast or 5 g of dry baker's yeast
• 5 g of salt
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt, then add the water and mix with your hand until you get a dough. Knead the dough on the work surface for 10 minutes and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Form a ball and cover it in the bowl with a kitchen towel or cling film and leave to rise for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Form 4 beautiful identical round balls then place them between two clean tea towels, the bottom one lightly floured, and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 240°C with the tray or drip pan in it, then take out the hot tray, being careful not to burn yourself. Oil the plate with a brush, and place the 4 balls on it, spacing them out a little (you can also use baking paper or a silicone plate).
- Pass a little water with a brush on the balls, and bake for about 25 minutes.
The Moulin de Nailloux and its bread workshop
Its flamboyant color attracts the eye and curiosity, it's up to you to unravel all its mysteries during a visit specially adapted for the youngest ! Penetrating inside the surprising Nailloux six-winged mill you will discover the great history of the milling tradition in Lauragais.
The +: The visit will be completed by a bun making workshop that you can take away or eat hot at the end of the visit!
Every day at 16 p.m., Monday to Friday,
from July 10 to August 25
Prices : 5€ per person from 3 years old.
Mandatory registrations at 05 62 57 09 68 / firstname.lastname@example.org
For those in a hurry
2 other visits of 20 minutes take place each day, without the bread workshop
- at 10:30 p.m.
- at 14:30 p.m.
Prices : 2€ per person from 3 years old.